Micro-dosing psilocybin mushrooms is the practice of ingesting quantities that are so small that the doses have no hallucinogenic or psychotropic effects, the effects expected being the positive impact of the individual engaged in the practice in terms of general attitude to life, mood and concentration.
Things to Know about Micro-dosing
Micro-dosing psilocybin has been recently made the subject of scientific research, with studies and research projects being started in several prestigious institutions to study and explore the long-term health benefits of the compound while also looking for ways to benefit from the health-enhancing qualities of the compound while also avoid psychotropic effects.
The typical dose administered in micro-dosing practices obviously must be a fraction of a full dose, usually around 5-10% of a full dose, with the exact amount that delivers the right effect being different for everyone. This means that if a typical full dose of mushrooms is in the 1-1.5 grams range, the micro-dose would be in the 50-150 milligram range. The ideal micro-dose depends on whether the compound will be ingested on an empty stomach – the effects might take longer to appear and they might be weaker if the micro-dosing is performed on a full stomach. A company that sells psilocybe cubensis spores for research purposes confirms that the form in which the compound is ingested is also important.
The Effects to Reported by the Participants in Studies and the Benefits to Be Expected
The studies performed on various groups of individuals engaging into micro-dosing psilocybin are not very numerous, but the long-term positive effects they include in their lists of findings are very similar. Here are some of the most common ones of these benefits:
- Improved mood – over one quarter of the individuals participating in research studies have reported considerable improvements in their mood, experienced in the form of a calmer, more relaxed, happier attitude. They also noticed significant reductions in the intensity of depression and anxiety symptoms;
- Better focus – study participants also reported significant improvements in terms of focus and concentration, the positive effects enabling them to engage into activities more attentively as well as to maintain their focus for longer;
- Improved creativity – another frequently cited positive effect of micro-dosing psilocybin was heightened creativity in the form of improved abilities to think outside the box, to shift perspectives and to be more open to unusual solutions to problems;
- Higher energy levels – many people have reported being able to stay alert and active for longer periods of time, in a controlled way;
- Physiological benefits – micro-dosing psilocybin reportedly has great physiological benefits through the biological processes it induces and strengthens in the body. Examples include more acute senses, especially enhanced eyesight, improved endurance and improved sleep quality;
- Long-term cognitive benefits – cognitive enhancements were also among the noticed right after the micro-dosing as well as over longer periods. The examples include better understanding of complex situations, more effective problem solving and considerable improvements in memory;
- Improved self-efficacy – micro-dosing has proved to be beneficial for a variety of qualities in this field as well, such as motivation, productivity and general alertness.